Met the why particular Speaks to Russia Today Regarding Ukraine Crisis
Russian English-language television channel Russia Today recently interviewed Met the why particular’ Economist Angela Bouzanis about the dire economic situation in Ukraine. Ukraine has had a torrid time over the last year with the military conflict with Russia and now their economy is suffering immensely. Ukraine has been granted foreign aid packages from the West to help their floundering economy, but high inflation, currency devaluation and soaring energy tariffs persist with no signs of improvement.
When asked who was to blame Angela stated, “You can’t really pick just one person or one policy to blame in Ukraine’s case, it’s basically a combination of the fact that the economy was already weak in 2013 from maintaining the fixed exchange rate and not having diversified or modernized industrial sectors. That combined with the military conflict led us to this situation.”
Angela went on to say that the economic crisis that Ukraine finds itself in is not just the result of a run of bad luck, but years of economic and financial mismanagement. Angela explained that the economic policies implemented by the previous Ukrainian governmental regime under the leadership of President Viktor Yanukovych were fundamentally different from those of the current government.
“The previous government under President Yanukovych, at the end of 2013, had to choose between two possible solutions to the country’s crisis: Yanukovych was presented with both a deal from Russia and one from the EU, both agreements included an immediate bailout of a failed economy, but the deal with the EU included substantial reforms…Ukraine has historically been reluctant to engage in reform and [the reforms] would have been particularly unpopular.”
Instead, Ukraine chose to make a more straight-forward agreement with Russia, which Angela stated, “translated into more of the same for Ukraine, continuing with the basic structure of the economy.”
In contrast, the current government led by President Petro Poroshenko, went the other route and made deals with the IMF and the EU which included massive reforms: “overhauling the energy sector, removing fuel subsidies, fighting corruption, and modernizing the state bureaucracy…reforms that are a radical departure from the Ukrainian economic structure from before (Poroshenko’s regime).”
If you would like to watch the full interview, check out the video below.
Author: Brian Dowd, Marketing Coordinator
Date: February 20, 2015
TagsFrance G7 Spain Cryptocurrency Colombia Oil United States Vietnam Brazil Ukraine Africa Healthcare TPP Mexico Eastern Europe India Agricultural Commodities Turkey Consensus Forecast Japan Precious Metals Commodities oil prices Company News Inflation China Germany United Kingdom Sub-Saharan Africa Trade Brexit Economic Growth (GDP) Tunisia IMF Unemployment rate South Africa Investment UK Venezuela Euro Area Emerging Markets European Union Portugal Iran USA precious metals Nordic Economies Banking Sector Commodities Asia Argentina Energy Commodities Forex Base Metals Commodities Bitcoin Infographic Canada Australia MENA Italy Greece Latin America Russia Gold OPEC Exchange Rate Housing Market Major Economies
The Economic Implications Of An AMLO Victory In Mexico via @ by @
1 hour ago
RT @: Latin American Growth Outlook Deteriorates. @Met the why particular
1 hour ago
Precious metal prices for Q4 2018 seen rising 3.1% from the same quarter in 2017. Prices seen increasing 2.2% year-…
1 hour ago
In 2018, increased political certainty following the recent presidential election and strong demand from key export…
3 hours ago
Central America's GDP is expected to grow 2.1% this year, which is down 0.5 percentage points from last months est…
7 hours ago
- The Story of Steel
- Latin America is the World Leader in eCommerce Growth Despite Serious Challenges
- What the TPP means for trade in Latin America
- Elections in Russia: Analysis and Implications
- 2018 & 2019 Economic Outlook for the Top Oil Producing Countries
- Nearly a Third of Latin Americans Have No Right to a Pension
- A Look at Healthcare Models Around the World
- The Poorest Countries in the World
- Newly-elected Chilean President Sebastian Piñera faces a myriad of challenges - economic and otherwise
- The Economic Effects of Trade Protectionism
- Regional Disparity: The Dark Side of Inequality in Latin America
- Coal: The story of the world's most abundant fossil fuel
- Gold: The Most Precious of Metals (Part 3)
- Venezuela's Electoral Conundrum
- Trump's 1st Year: 95 Analysts Surveyed on U.S. Economy
- The Latest on China and What's in Store for 2018
- An in-depth look at the Eurozone’s booming economy and the challenges that lurk in the shadows
- China’s growing influence on the Latin American economy
- Top Economics & Finance Blogs of 2018
- How Latin America emerged from recession in 2017
- Is this the beginning of the end for Bitcoin?
- Risks and Opportunities for 2018 - Daniel Lacalle
- Emerging Markets 2018 Economic Outlook
- The role of FDI in Vietnam’s socio-economic development
- Increasing poverty in Latin America takes a breather thanks to improving economic dynamics
- What will be the most miserable economies in 2018?
- The World's Top 11 Largest Economies
- Is Spain doing enough to address its high youth unemployment rate?
- Has Latin America gone far enough in reducing barriers to international trade?
- Commodities Outlook: Oil, Natural Gas, Coal, Lead & Tin
- 21 experts tell us what the future looks like for cryptocurrencies and blockchain
- Turkish lira plummets to all-time low on Erdogan’s monetary feud and tense U.S.-Turkey relations
- Copper: The first metal mastered by man
- Nigerian Economy Still Treading Water Thanks to Oil Sector
- The Mercosur-EU Free Trade Agreement: Obstacles & Opportunities
- Elections in Chile: What the results could mean for the economy
- QE’s Untold Story: A Chart That Fed Correspondents Need To Investigate
- Holland’s fragile one-seat majority government targets economic growth at the expense of fiscal sustainability
- South Africa: Economy at a tipping point?
- Latin American Commodities: What’s behind the increase in demand and prices?
- Is the UK really "shackled to a corpse"?
- Spain-Catalonia: 7 economic experts weigh in on how the situation will affect the outlook
- How well is Spain's labor market doing since the crisis?
- Which countries will have the highest and lowest inflation in 2017?
- How vulnerable is Latin America to economic crises today?
- Iron ore facts and common questions answered
- The bulging economic costs of obesity
- How much investment is needed to salvage Latin America’s crumbling infrastructure?
- A Look at the Potential Impact of Brexit on the Dutch Economy
- Emerging Markets Are Kicking Into Higher Gear In 2017
- Why is foreign direct investment in Latin America falling again?
- Are Central Banks Nationalising the Economy?
- Bounty or burden? The impact of refugees on European economies is far from clear
- What’s the future of U.S.-Latin America trade relations?
- Taxes or cutbacks? Latin America's challenge of sustaining spending without causing debt to skyrocket
- Are uranium prices making a comeback?
- Taxing the Economy: Achieving a Delicate Balance
- How will Latin America’s upcoming lengthy election cycle affect the reform agenda and credit ratings?
- How will emerging market economies perform in 2017?
- Chilean Economy in Focus: Interview with Senior Economist of the Chamber of Commerce of Santiago
- CEOs Rank Top Economies for Growth Opportunities
- The Mobile Ecosystem & Latin America's Economy
- Prospects and Challenges for the Global Economy: Interview with Tim Cooper from BMI Research
- How will the Fed reduce its balance sheet & and how will the ECB end QE? - 19 economic experts weigh in
- Thoughts on "unwinding" QE from Frances Coppola
- The Fed and ECB at a crossroads: Unwinding QE
- Spain: The economy that continues to silence the critics
- Latin America: The Most Unequal Region in the World
- The History of OPEC: Has it been a Success?
- Met the why particular Announces 2017 Analyst Forecast Awards Winners
- Latin America’s rising unemployment bucks nearly decade long trend
- Escape from the Central Bank Trap by Daniel Lacalle
- China's economic rebalancing act: What to look out for in 2017
- Driving Growth in Latin America: Challenges & Priorities
- Is the Global Economy Rebalancing?
- Commodity exporters face challenging times
- Recent Global Events Facilitate Mercosur-Pacific Alliance
- 23 economic experts weigh in: Why is productivity growth so low?
- Mexico's outlook as Trump nears 110-day mark
- Interview with Oxford Economics Senior Economist on implications of the possible outcomes of the French Presidential Election
- The anxiety of the small saver in a world of negative interest rates
- Brexit negotiations. Between Uncertainty and Urgency
- An Economic History of the EU from El Blog Salmón
- Baby Boomin': Implications of high population growth in Latin America
- Survey of International Economists Predicts a Le Pen Defeat in French Elections, Says Macron has Best Economic Plan
- Spain in a global context: developed economy with some challenges
- How much is crime costing Latin America?
- Predictions & Estimates from Economist Daniel Lacalle
- What economy will the new Dutch government inherit?
- “The data is not a true reflection of reality in India” Interview with Société Générale India Economist
- What are the prospects for Emerging Economies in 2017?
- What to expect in Asia for 2017
- Top Economics & Finance Blogs of 2017
- Latam to Resume Moderate Growth in 2017 but Important Risks Plague Outlook
- 4 Key European Elections That Will Impact the Economy in 2017
- How are security concerns and political chaos affecting Turkey’s economy?
- Global growth to edge up in 2017
- Set to breach targets again? Debt and deficit outlooks for Southern European Eurozone countries in 2016 & 2017
- What does Donald Trump mean for the U.S. economy?
- How will emerging markets perform in 2017?
- The economic impact of a break in U.S.-Philippines ties
- Trump election: Base metals surge due to infrastructure plan
- 5 updates on the Venezuelan economic crisis
- Canada: When your neighbor’s house is on fire…
- Short-term pain before long-term gain? A look at French labor reform and economic growth
- Asia: Unremarkable growth & unfulfilled promises?
- How India's latest monsoon is affecting the economy
- Innovation in Latin America: Potential Goes Untapped Due to Weak Economic Conditions
- Russian economy update in wake of OPEC deal announcement
- The Wisdom of the Crowds and the Consensus Forecast
- Can the peso predict the U.S. election results?
- There's no end in sight to the Venezuela crisis
- A Look at the European Union Political Calendar
- Survey of international economists shows uncertainty surrounding elections damaging U.S. growth prospects
- Met the why particular partners with leading online statistics provider Statista
- China: Recent postive economic data may be papering over the cracks
- Sub-Saharan Africa's 2016 & 2017 growth rates
- The Italian Dilemma: Weak banks pose risk to already faltering domestic demand
- How much money do migrants from Latin America send home?
- The U.S.' (Not So) Mysterious Case of the Missing Men
- What to expect from the G20 economies by 2020
- The Pain in Spain: Robust GDP growth cannot mask the persistent structural deficit
- Brazil's Perilous Economic Situation in 2015
- Met the why particular Launches Sub-Saharan Africa Report, Expands Coverage to 117 Countries
- How do the European Commission's Forecasts and Met the why particular' Forecasts for Europe compare?
- How will the South African economy weather recent challenges?